Are you looking to build a great accounting career with a company that helps fabricators and manufacturers build successful businesses? West Central Steel of Willmar, MN is seeking motivated individuals to join our growing team.
We are looking for an Accounting Assistant to help continue our corporate growth. The Accounting Assistant is responsible for providing accounting and administrative duties to ensure effective, efficient, and accurate accounting and administrative operations.
About West Central Steel
We’re in the business of providing customers with steel and custom parts where and when they need them. A high level of responsive service and quality work done efficiently allows us to deliver steel the next day across the Midwest.
For over 70 years, we’ve maintained our status as leaders in the industry by committing to safety, quality, responsibility, relationships, and growth in everything we do. Our family-owned business started in 1949 and has continually grown from a handful of garages to 305,000 square feet of production and warehouse space.
As opposed to other manufacturing companies that ramp up and slow down production throughout the year, our company grows consistently by serving more than 800 different customers across different market segments. Sustainable business growth is at the forefront of our operational goals.
The Accounting Assistant role is a rewarding and diverse job with the main responsibilities being accounts payable, daily deposits, receptionist, and administrative support. An ideal candidate would be detailed, and team orientated with good analytical and communication skills. The position is critical to the integrity, accuracy, and quality of all the accounting transactions that flow to the financial reports.
- Perform the day-to-day processing of accounts payable transactions to ensure that finances are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner.
- Receive and verify invoices for goods and services using the three-way match system. (Invoice, Purchase orders and receiving papers)
- Maintain current purchase order file/watch backorders/and set up estimates at month end.
- Verify that transaction comply with policies and procedures.
- Prepare invoices with general ledger accounts to apply costs to appropriate accounts, departments, and units.
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry.
- Data enter invoices for payment.
- Process back up reports after data entry.
- Maintain and update vendor files.
- Maintain W-9 information and submit 1099 reports.
- Update, maintain, record and submit credit information for new vendor requests.
- Watch sales tax make sure accurate on invoices apply use tax as needed.
- Maintain direct pay and use tax information for all companies.
- Coordinate and communicate with various dept heads and staff to ensure good relations with our suppliers to gain information to process invoices in a timely manner.
- Determine intercompany transaction and prepaid transactions.
- Type correspondence, design reports and/or spreadsheets on request by staff for accounting reports.
- Cross train and back up other administrative positions as needed or required.
- Cutting off accounts payable for month end.
- Prepare daily deposits and apply all deposits to the proper customer accounts.
- Provide receptionist support to cover vacations, lunch breaks and appointments.
- Provide accounting support to ensure effective and efficient office operations.
- Scan reports and records to keep up to date
- Develop reports and spreadsheet data upon requests
- Provide administrative support as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- You have a high attention to detail, willingness to learn new methods and grow your skills.
- You can work as a team supporting various departments to help the office operate efficiently.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of 2 years accounting experience or AA degree in accounting.
- Possess a strong desire to support the team with a charismatic, positive “can-do” attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to effectively work across a broad spectrum of functions within all company units.
- Excellent analytical abilities with ability to analyze data, solve problems and make effective decisions.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office and Windows based applications.
Competitive wages, 401(k) with match and generous benefits package