Warehouse Material Handler
Are you looking to build a successful career in manufacturing? West Central Steel of Willmar, MN is seeking motivated individuals to join our growing team. As a Warehouse Material Handler, you’ll be responsible for receiving, stocking, pulling, and loading thousands of pounds of steel each day using state-of-the-art cranes, forklifts, and custom software and technology to make the work efficient.
We value the hard work our team puts forward, and as a result, you’ll enjoy earning competitive pay and great benefits like overtime that starts after 8 hours each day, generous 401K matching, and much more. You will also earn aggressive opportunities for pay advancement that happen at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years into the job.
About West Central Steel
We’re in the business of providing customers with steel and custom parts where and when they need them. Quality work done efficiently allows us to deliver steel the next day across the Midwest.
For over 70 years, we’ve maintained our status as leaders in the industry by committing to safety, quality, responsibility, relationships, and growth in everything we do. Our family-owned business started in 1949 and has continually grown from a handful of garages to 305,000 square feet of production and warehouse space.
As opposed to other manufacturing companies that ramp up and slow down production throughout the year, our company grows consistently by serving more than 800 different customers across different market segments. Sustainable business growth is at the forefront of our operational goals.
The Warehouse Material Handler is responsible for pulling, loading, and receiving steel. Physical requirements include standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, and grasping. Available shifts include day, mid-shift, and night shifts. All warehouse employees report directly to the Warehouse Supervisor.
- Navigate our computer system to view and process orders accurately and efficiently.
- Determine what products to pull while paying careful attention to specific product details and be able to differentiate between similar descriptions.
- Identify material using a measuring tape, caliper, printed locations, and designated color codes.
- Pull material from our inventory using a side loader forklift. Some of the items pulled will be hand stacked on fork tines while other orders may require material to be taken to the pulling station. Overhead bridge cranes are used to pull material in all other locations of the warehouse.
- Tag and package orders for shipping using overhead bridge crane and pneumatic banding equipment per customer-specific order instructions.
- Operate 1, 5, 10, or 20-ton cranes with a 16-function pendant control or radio frequency controls.
- Verify material received with receiving documents for quality assurance purposes.
- Count, measure, and apply the proper barcodes to the incoming material.
- Load material onto outgoing trucks according to designated production documents.
- Analyze shipments and determine the best method for loading considering the order of stops, shipment size, and the weights of different loads to properly distribute weight on the vehicle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to use and read a 25’ measuring tape to 1/16 of an inch.
- Ability to read and use a caliper.
- Proven knowledge of fractions and decimals.
- Ability to operate an overhead crane.
- Ability to operate a forklift.
- Technical ability to use computers and tablets for recording orders.
- Possess organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate well with others.
- Ability to pass pre-employment screening that includes a drug test, hearing test, back screening, and physical.
- On-the-job training programs. If you don’t have all the experience we will train you.
- Overtime that starts after 8 hours each day.
- Boot reimbursements up to $150/year and cold weather gear stipend of $75/year.
- Aggressive opportunities for pay advancement. (+$1/hr following 120 days, 1 year, and 2 years.)
- Health insurance (Company contributions of $525 for single coverage and $1365 for family coverage. HSA, FSA, and traditional medical plans are also offered.)
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401 (k) retirement account with 9% company match up to $900/year
- Paid time off
- Employee referral program
- Attendance bonus