The Semi-Truck Driver position at West Central Steel plays a vital role in the overall success of getting our customers what they need is a safe and timely manner. They are the last representative of West Central Steel on a transaction. Whether you are driving a Conestoga, flatbed or a straight truck safety on the road and at the customer’s facility is always job #1.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Drives truck to destination.
- Secures and protects the load using chains and straps as required by law and our customer.
- Tarps the loads as required by the customer and management.
- Inspects truck for defects before and after trips and submits report indicating truck condition.
- Maintains driver log according to DOT regulations.
- Assists other employees or customers in loading and unloading truck.
- Inspects truck equipment and supplies such as tires, lights, brakes, fuel, oil, and water.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus two or more years semi-driving experience/or training.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to speak effectively before customers or our employees. The truck driver is the most direct company contact to our customers. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and bills of lading. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be meet by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must regularly lift, move or bar up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and diesel fumes.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License required – Class A
- Valid DOT Medical Card in possession.
- Health Insurance
- 125 Cafeteria Plan
- Profit Sharing