Are you looking to build a successful career in driving and manufacturing? West Central Steel of Willmar, MN is seeking motivated individuals to join our growing team. As a Semi-Truck Driver, you’ll take on the responsibility of delivering customer shipments in a safe and timely manner.
This is an opportunity to enjoy all the benefits and independence of being a driver, but with the added advantages of being home each night with regular routes that allow you to develop great relationships with our customers.
We value the hard work our team puts forward, and as a result, you’ll enjoy earning competitive pay and great benefits like overtime that starts after 8 hours each day, generous 401K matching, and much more. You will also earn aggressive opportunities for pay advancement that happen at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years into the job.
About West Central Steel
We’re in the business of providing customers with steel and custom parts where and when they need them. Quality work done efficiently allows us to deliver steel the next day across the Midwest.
For over 70 years, we’ve maintained our status as leaders in the industry by committing to safety, quality, responsibility, relationships, and growth in everything we do. Our family-owned business started in 1949 and has continually grown from a handful of garages to 305,000 square feet of production and warehouse space.
As opposed to other manufacturing companies that ramp up and slow down production throughout the year, our company grows consistently by serving more than 800 different customers across different market segments. Sustainable business growth is at the forefront of our operational goals.
Semi-Truck Drivers are essential to our company’s success at West Central Steel. They’re one of the key elements in fulfilling our promise to provide quick turnaround times on every order. Likewise, they’re a frontline representative of our team when it comes to interacting with customers and other members of our industry.
- Drives truck to and from destinations in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and North and South Dakota.
- Secures and protects the load using chains and straps as required by law and our customers.
- Covers or tarps the loads as required by the customer and inside management. Most trailers have Conestogas that make covering the load easy.
- Inspects trucks for defects before and after trips and submits reports indicating truck condition.
- Maintains driver log according to DOT regulations.
- Assists other employees or customers in loading and unloading trucks.
- Inspects truck equipment and supplies such as tires, lights, brakes, fuel, oil, and water.
Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Two or more years of semi driving experience or training.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License required – Class A.
- Valid DOT Medical Card.
- Ability to speak effectively before customers or our employees.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and bills of lading.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to solve problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must regularly lift, move, or bar up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- On-the-job training programs. If you don’t have all the experience we will train you.
- Overtime that starts after 8 hours each day.
- Boot reimbursements up to $150/year and cold weather gear stipend of $75/year.
- Aggressive opportunities for pay advancement. (+$1/hr following 120 days, 1 year, and 2 years.)
- Health insurance (Company contributions of $525 for single coverage and $1365 for family coverage. HSA, FSA, and traditional medical plans are also offered.)
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401 (k) retirement account with 9% company match up to $900/year
- Paid time off
- Employee referral program
- Attendance bonus
Updated May 2022