Switch Truck Driver
Are you looking to build a successful career in the steel distribution and processing industry? West Central Steel of Willmar, MN is seeking motivated individuals to join our growing team. As a Warehouse Switch Truck Driver, you’ll take on the responsibilities of ensuring our semis are spotted in the drive through bays of our warehouse ready to load, all while taking advantage of benefit opportunities like daily overtime, generous 401K matching, and much more.
About West Central Steel
We’re in the business of providing high-quality carbon steel distribution and parts processing services to customers all over the Midwest. For over 70 years, we’ve maintained our status as leaders in our industry by committing to safety, quality, responsibility, relationships, and growth in everything we do. West Central Steel is a family-owned company dedicated to helping our customers and employees build their success.
The Warehouse Switch Truck Driver drives truck or tractor trailer units to spot equipment for loading.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit as well as walking and reaching with hands and arms. Climbing in and out of the truck cab will be done many times per shift. Most trailer switches will be done with the switch tractor equipped with a Barrett Lift, but some hand cranking of dollies will be required. The employee must regularly lift, or bar up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. The start time for this position is 8:00pm Monday through Friday. Your job is complete when all the trucks are loaded or 6:00am, whichever comes first. This position will report to the Warehouse Night Supervisor.
- Drives truck or tractor trailer units to spot equipment for loading.
- Inspects truck and trailer equipment such as tires, lights, brakes, dollies, and deck for defects prior to spotting in load bays.
- Assists other employees in loading and unloading trucks.
- Occasional crane operation and truck loading.
- Secure loads and tarp on occasion when trailer needs to be driven on the public street or parked outside in inclement weather.
- Navigate our computer system to view and pull orders accurately and efficiently.
- Determine what products to pull while paying careful attention to specific product details and be able to differentiate between similar descriptions.
- Identify material using a measuring tape, caliper, printed locations, and designated color codes.
- Pull material from our inventory using overhead cranes
- Tag and package orders for shipping using overhead bridge crane and pneumatic
- banding equipment per customer-specific order instructions.
- Record employee number, quantity pulled, and location information on a
- computer tablet.
- Operate 1, 5, 10, or 20-ton crane with a 16-function pendant control or radio
- frequency controls.
- Verify material received with receiving documents for quality assurance purposes.
- Count, measure, and apply the proper barcodes to the incoming material.
- Load material onto outgoing trucks according to designated production documents.
- Analyze shipments and determine the best method for loading considering the order of stops, shipment size, and the weights of different loads to properly distribute weight on the vehicle.
- Record employee number, quantity loaded, and special requirements on the loading document.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Valid Class-A Commercial Driver’s License.
- Valid I.C.C. Medical Card in possession.
- Knowledge of fractions and decimals
- Ability to use and read 25’ measuring tape to a 1/16 of an inch
- Ability to read and use a caliper
- Ability to communicate with others
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Technical ability to use computers and tablets for recording orders.
- Ability to operate overhead crane
- Ability to operate a forklift
- Ability to pass pre-employment screening that includes drug test, hearing test, back screening and physical
- On-the-job training programs
- 401 (k)
- 401 (k) matching
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid time off
- Employee referral program
- Health savings account
- Flexible spending account
- Retirement plan
- Daily overtime rollover
- Attendance bonuses
- Annual gear and supply stipends